Old National Gallery
Berlin/1993 – 2001
The Old National Gallery, completed in 1876, has changed considerably over the course of its lifetime. Heavily damaged during the war, it was the first of Berlin’s “Museum Island’s” institutions to undergo complete restoration. The Old National Gallery is home to Berlin State Museums’ main collection of 19th century art. Key challenges during the almost 10-year renovation project included the redesign of the entrance, the creation of two rooms for the works of Caspar David Friedrich and Karl Friedrich Schinkel, and the careful installation of new infrastructure for utilities and climate control. The original character of the building with all the traces of its significant past has been maintained.
- Mission: Conversion, renovation, supervision exhibition planning
- Client: Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz (Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation)
- Year: 1993-2001
- Area: 12.942 sqm